Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I 't know if this is the appropriate category to ask this

Customer Question

I don't know if this is the appropriate category to ask this legal question but hopefully you can share some information.
I have been a part of a vanpool for work for nearly a year now. Our vanpool company we contract with is Enterprise. Each van has a vanpool coordinator who deal with all the major issues with Enterprise. The other day I was driving the van and backed into another vehicle causing very minor but noticeable damage.
Enterprise is stating they do not have my paperwork that shows I am an approved driver and therefore I must claim this with my personal insurance. I was given a key and have been driving this van for a year and assumed my vanpool coordinator had taken care of all the paperwork since he issued me a key. Is my driving considered permissive to where the vans insurance should be primary or am I liable for all damages to both vehicles via my personal insurance?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  richanne96 replied 2 years ago.

Is the vanpool coordinator an Enterprise employee? If so, Enterprise should take responsibility for this situation. But if the van pool coordinator is one of the members of the vanpool, then Enterprise is off the hook, and you and your insurance will have to pay for the damages.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, the coordinator is a member of the vanpool. That's unfortunate since I was unaware I was not an approved driver.

That is unfortunate, yes. The coordinator should have taken care of the paperwork. S/he fell down on the job, and as a result, you have to file a claim with your insurance. If there is significant cost to you as a result, you may have a claim against the coordinator.