How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 1117
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I fell in my doctors exam room received minor injuries. Spoke

Customer Question

I fell in my doctors exam room received minor injuries. Spoke to her assistant when I received the bill and was told not to worry she would take care of it. A month later I received a notice saying they were turning my account over to a collection agency. I then spoke to the assistant and reminded her what she told me a month before and she denied ever telling me that. I never saw a doctor about my injuries but I did speak to my primary care doctor who wanted me to see an orthopedic surgeon, but I didn't have the money. I ended up icing my injuries and doing some exercises to rehab myself. I did take pictures of all the bruises. I did not try to get anything for my injuries but I did feel like it was fair I not be expected to pay the bill, which also was a problem because I presented them my insurance information and waited to schedule the appointment for some test they wanted to do until the insurance was verified, then I saw the doctor and had two procedures done in their office. Then I received a bill informing me they did not take my insurance. What I would like to know is do I have any recourse on this, I have tried to work this out with them but have not been able to. This happened last year and I don't know what to do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  richanne96 replied 1 year ago.
Whether you have a personal injury claim to bring against the doctor would depend on why you fell. If the doctor's office was negligent and that caused your slip-and-fall, then you have a claim for personal injury. The damages are somewhat limited because you did not go to the doctor. But you should be able to negotiate an offset against that bill. If you do not have a viable personal injury claim, you have an obligation to pay the bill -- perhaps you can work out a payment plan. If the doctor's office winds up suing you, which is unlikely, there will eventually be an opportunity to settle, often times at a pretrial conference. Although the doctor is unlikely to sue, the doctor's office will likely drop you as a patient if you do not pay.