How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 31731
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in a car accident a year a go. I was at a red light

Customer Question

Hi, I was in a car accident a year a go. I was at a red light waiting to turn right and the car in front of me sped up to make the right turn and then the car decided to not go and hit the break. At the moment when the car in front of me sped up to go, I looked to my left to see if there were any cars coming so that I could also take the turn and when I speed up because I see that there are no cars coming I hit the back of the car in front of me ( at this moment is when I realized that the car had not taken the right turn) we both parked on the side of the road and got out of the car and asked each other if we were okay. We both said yes. This person said they would call the police and at this moment I told her that I had no car insurance. We then waited about one hour for the police to arrive. When the police got there, he asked if we were both okay and if we needed any assistance or needed to go to the hospital. We both said no and said we were okay. The police officer did his report and told me that since I had no insurance that they were going to take the car from me and i'd have to pick up at a facility.They came and picked up the car and I left. A month passed and I received a call from the other persons insurance telling me that I have to pay $2,600 for damages to the car plus an extra fee because this person had to go to the hospital because of injuries. I am very confused, because the damage that my car did to the other persons car does not seem like one that would cost $2,600 (I have pictures) and as far as the injury fee, I am confused as well, since this person expressed to me over the period of 1 hour while we waited for the police that she was okay as well as communicated to the police officer when he got there that she was okay. Which I assume, this information would be on the police officers report. My question is, Its been a year now, and the persons insurance company is asking for over $10,000. Is there anyway that a lawyer can help me lower the amount that this persons insurance is asking me to pay even though I had no car insurance at the time?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. It would be possible to have an attorney negotiate on your behalf and try to resolve the claims for as little as possible. The first action you or an attorney would likely take is to request all medical bills and all repair bills to substantiate the claim made against you. If you have no insurance coverage, and if you have an attorney trying to resolve the claim, it is likely that you can get this matter resolved for less than what is being demanded....probably for less than half of the demand. Insurance companies are interested in recovering what they can for as little expense as if you hire an attorney to throw a little money their way, it would likely produce an outcome you can live with.