How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 12406
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend was just involved in a hit and run accident. We are wondering what we can do

Customer Question

My boyfriend was just involved in a hit and run accident. We are wondering what we can do to get expenses covered by person who ran. We have picture of their license plate and their face--as well as many witnesses. We have police report as well. We'd be looking to get car damage taken car of, medical bills (i took him to emergency room b/c elbow was really hurting and I was worried there could be a fracture since he had some numbness in hand). He is also extremely nervous to drive at this point as this is his second car accident in a month that was not his fault. This worries me as he drives a lot for his job.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. First and foremost, I would ask the police to investigate this as a crime. Since you have the license plate, it should not be too difficult for the police to discover who the driver was. Moreover you have a picture of the driver. That certainly seems like very good evidence. The driver could be convicted of hit-and-run driving, and the judge could order restitution. That means that upon conviction, the perpetrator is also ordered by the judge to repay your boyfriend. If that occurs, then your boyfriend would not need to take further action himself in a lawsuit. Your boyfriend can also sue the driver if he wishes. This would be worth doing if the judge does not order restitution. If the driver has insurance, then getting paid may be fairly easy. If the driver does not have insurance, then getting paid may be difficult because your boyfriend would have to garnish wages or try other collection techniques. This can be annoying , frustrating, and time-consuming. My suggestion would be to retain an attorney if a lawsuit is necessary. This kind of thing is not generally a small claims type of action that can easily be handled by nonlawyers. It can be a complicated case, and your boyfriend will want an expert on his side. Therefore, my suggestion would be to meet with a couple of personal injury attorneys on Monday or Tuesday. Most of these types of attorneys will offer free consultations initially. Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.