How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 1123
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Attorney Lucy and other attorneys as well, thanks for

Customer Question

Attorney Lucy and other attorneys as well, thanks for responding to my questions. I just wanted to clarify whether you think it is okay if I submit proofs of service to the court just to meet the deadline. And if the defendant doesn't respond, I could
ask a process server to serve process again and then file corrected proof of service? However, do you think the court is likely to accept corrected proof of service when extension of time to serve process wasnt initially sought? How about if the defendant
immediately responds and alleges defective service and says he/she only found out from people rumoring about a lawsuit been filed and that led him/her to the courthouse to get the summons and complaint through a court search? Can a case be dismissed for defective
service even if the defendant answers promptly?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  richanne96 replied 2 years ago.
Generally, if the defendant answers promptly he has waived any right to have the case dismissed for improper service. It is not OK to submit proofs of service unless the defendant has actually been served. And no, the court is not likely to accept "corrected" proof of service where an extension of time to serve was not sought.

Related Personal Injury Law Questions