Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Exeperienced Civil Litigator for both Plaintiffs and Defendants
12711280

I have a lawyer working on my accident case he has already

Customer Question

I have a lawyer working on my accident case he has already recieved a settlement offer my question is does a lawyer take out his percentage before removing my loss wages or after removing my loss wages?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
It generally depends on the nature of your agreement before you hire the attorney. I most cases the contract you sign for services with the attorney will specify if the attorney's cut will be taken out of or exclude the lost wages. If this is not addressed in the engagement contract, you can assume that the lawyer's fee will be in the aggregate of all winnings. In other words, if the lawyer is paid on a contingency, his percentage will be based on all winnings, including your lost wages. So, if not specified otherwise, it will likely take his percentage before removing the lost wages. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please also rate my answer positively. Best wishes going forward!