How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  personal injury and medical malpractice attorney
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went to doctor in January because I had a blood sugar level

Customer Question

I went to doctor in January because I had a blood sugar level of over 500. The doctor I went to did not even test me but told be to keep taking 48 units of Lantus every night and I will see you in 2 months. Less than a week later my blood sugar spiked to 1000. I went into seizures and was rushed to hospital were I end up in ICU in Coma. When I woke up a few days later it was realized that my ankle was broken so bad that they put me back to sleep to set it and then 2 days later I had a 5 1/2 hour to fix it with plates and screws. It took a few days for my brain to work right and after surgery I had to go to rehab hospital for a month. I got out but was hurting bad and had a CT scan that was realized that all the ligiments were tearing away from the bone so I had to have surgery again the next day to fix that and had to stay in hospital for 3 days and rehab a month. I just had another surgery 3 weeks ago to remove some screws and now rehabing again. The doctor is not sure how well my ankle will hold. Wait and see. My family has been mad at me because they know nothing about being diabetic so they think I did all this on purpose. After the second surgery I was not allowed to but weight on my foot for 16 weeks and I am a little depressed. I still take rehab not sure when it will end. I think that if the doctor who saw me in January had done more on my sugar I would not have ended like this. Is there a case?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 2 years ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.
It is very difficult to ascertain the validity of medical claims without a full and extensive review of the medical records. It seems to me that the question would come down to whether the first physician had a reason to believe that you had diabetes and needed to test you. The standard of care in this case is what a normal physician within the particular specialty of physician 1 would do in the same circumstance. You will have to prove that the care that physician 1 was below that standard and caused you damages.
Just by doing a bit of googling (I am not physician and an expert physician will need to review the case in order to ascertain its validity), a normal sugar level is less than 100 mg/dL after not eating (fasting) for at least 8 hours. And it's less than 140 mg/dL 2 hours after eating. A blood sugar over 500 mg/dl is an emergency. Especially if you aren't already diagnosed with diabetes or under a doctor's care. It's an emergency not because those very high blood sugars will lead to complications. They will, but it takes more than a few days of exposure to high blood sugars to cause complications. Lantus is an insulin prescribed for diabetes so physician 1 was treating you with insulin used for diabetes. The ultimate question will then become, was it reasonable for physician 1 to treat you with Lantus instead of admitting you for an emergency with a blood sugar level of 500. Again it will come down to what the experts say to this in order to tell if physician 1's care was below the standard of care and caused you damage.
It would seem that your situation falls into a category that needs to be investigated further and I would think you would want to take your case to a local medical malpractice attorney. You need to request your medical records from physician 1 first and foremost. Usually consultations are free and they will review your case and have their experts review it. Normally you can retain an attorney on a contingency fee (usually around 40-50% of any judgment/settlement) with no up front cost.
Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer as it is the only way I will be compensated.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to also mention that the statute of limitations (the time to file your case) in Indiana is 2 years for Injury to Person. §34-11-2-4(1).
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Just checking back in. Please give me a positive rating as it is the only way I will be compensated.

Related Personal Injury Law Questions