Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Informing Others of Known STD Infections: I recently ended a…

Customer Question
Informing Others of Known STD...
Informing Others of Known STD Infections: I recently ended a very long and toxic relationship with a woman who infected me with genital herpes. She presumably contracted the virus during the early stages of our relationship while she was still sleeping
with other men although she denied this at the time. It was discovered that she had the disease after we were exclusively involved and it turned up when an STD screening was ran in conjunction with some blood work she was having done for an unrelated health
issue. We saw our way past this issue, but have since parted ways due to infidelity on her part. I have moved on, as has she and I mean her no ill will. However, due to her promiscuous habits, I am concerned that she will or has knowingly infected other men
and could very well see some of her potential victims being mutual friends or acquaintances that I would not wish the burden of this condition on. My question(s) are: What legal responsibility does she have to inform her future partners of her infection? Do
I have to suffer in silence with the knowledge I have of her condition knowing that others, known to me or not, could be harmed by her indiscretions? I am a healthcare provider and know that HIPPA violations are serious offenses and would never jeopardize
crossing that line, however I feel some moral obligation here to protect others. What are my options, if any? Lastly, she is an newly licensed attorney and I am a doctor. She knows she is infected, however also knows the confidentiality I am bound by as a
healthcare provider. Likewise, she should also know her legal and moral obligations to not continue to infect other men. I fear that she would seek legal action against me if she even suspected that I leaked this information. Is this simply a case of be careful
who you sleep with?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
7/2/2015
Personal Injury Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
and could very well see some of her potential victims being mutual friends or acquaintances that I would not wish the burden of this condition on. My question(s) are: What legal responsibility does she have to inform her future partners of her infection?

Response 1: She has legal obligation to inform her future partners of her condition. Otherwise, she may be charged with a misdemeanor. It is illegal for her to have sexual relations with others without disclosing the information to them. See Florida Statutes Chapter 384 Sections 384.24 and 384.34:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0384/Sections/0384.24.html
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0384/Sections/0384.34.html
Do I have to suffer in silence with the knowledge I have of her condition knowing that others, known to me or not, could be harmed by her indiscretions?
Response 2: You may have to if you are not her treating physician. See Florida Statutes Chapter 384.25 for reporting requirements:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0300-0399/0384/Sections/0384.25.html
I am a healthcare provider and know that HIPPA violations are serious offenses and would never jeopardize crossing that line, however I feel some moral obligation here to protect others. What are my options, if any?
Response 3: See my previous responses.
Lastly, she is an newly licensed attorney and I am a doctor. She knows she is infected, however also knows the confidentiality I am bound by as a healthcare provider. Likewise, she should also know her legal and moral obligations to not continue to infect other men. I fear that she would seek legal action against me if she even suspected that I leaked this information. Is this simply a case of be careful who you sleep with?
Response 4: Yes and No. She has a duty to disclose. However, if she does not disclose the information before having intimate relationships, her partners would find out after the fact, after they may have already been infected. So, people should be careful of who they have relationships with because not everyone is honest, regrettably.