How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 12250
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Two months ago I parked my truck across the street from my

Customer Question

Two months ago I parked my truck across the street from my house so I could move the vehicle that was in my driveway out and back my truck in to unload items I had in the back of the truck. I had the keys in my hand and my dog ins I was goin g to back it in when a flat bed tow truck came down my street and hit my truck head on flipping it around going the opposite way on the other side of the street where it hit my other vehicle. The driver of the tow truck was on drugs and fell asleep he said he didn't know how or why he was on my see and didn't remember anything for the last 2 miles. The owner of the tow truck company showed up along with the police. I didn't get a police report and they told me to call the insurance company directly in the morning. Since then my Escalade has been deemed totaled and my other vehicle fixable. They have offered me Kelly blue for my truck and it was worth much more. I had recently turned down an offer made for much more than what they are trying to give me. I own a business where my truck was a vital part of it. The items in the back of my truck were also all damaged. And I have now lost a lot of business including a couple clients. What should I be compensated for.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. Simply put, you should be compensated for the value of the items, or the cost to repair them. For example, if your Escalade was worth more than Kelly Blue Book, then you should be given more than Kelly Blue Book. The difficult issue may be proving that the vehicle was worth more than Kelly Blue Book. In other words, if the insurance company refuses to voluntarily pay you more, then you will have no choice but to sue and then prove in court the value of the vehicle. In addition, it sounds like you have a viable argument that you should also be compensated for lost business/profits, assuming it can be directly attributed to the destroyed vehicle. The main issue here, again, is that you'll need to prove the lost business/profits. If I were you, I would gather as much evidence as you can regarding the value of the destroyed property, and the lost business/profits. I would then submit that to the insurance company and ask for reimbursement. If that doesn't work, then I'd retain an attorney to make a demand, and if that doesn't work, then the attorney can file a lawsuit.Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Related Personal Injury Law Questions