Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

I have a potential malpractice case involving hospital car…

Customer Question
I have a potential malpractice...
I have a potential malpractice case involving hospital car received by nurse which was reported at time it occurred. My doctor was not at fault in anyway. I was admitted for a routine colonoscopy in January for observation due to my prep not working and
just to do a second prep. While in the hospital I started running a fever of 100.0 degree and my head was hurting this was around 3 or 4 in the afternoon. My husband was present and we decided around 7 p.m. that he should go home for the night which he did.
In the meantime the nurse came in before he left and I told her my IV was coming out because it had been leaking and I was sweating. ( I have pictures) She proceeded to just place more tape over the site and left the room. So that was mistake number one. After
my husband left I began to have chills and head hurting did not fell well I called her and she brought me blankets but did not check my temp. Around 3 or 4 a.m. I work up with terrible head and neck ache pushed call light waited and nurse never came so I checked
my Temp It had risen to 103.3 and I was shaking. Nurse call light was on and I waited feeling even more ill. I dozed off and awoke around 5 a.m. nurse light still on but had not seen a nurse checked temp it had gone up 104.5 so I sent a message to my sister
who is a nurse practicer and said I think I am in trouble so she contacted my husband who was an hour away and immediately started his drive to hospital 6:30 (last time I checked my temp myself it was 106.6 but I could not get anyone to come check on me. My
husband arrived at around 7:00 or 7:30 and I was talking out of my head so he felt my forehead and took my temp it was 107.5 so started wetting washcothes to try to get temp down and pushing call button for nurse which had been on all night. When help did
not arrive he went to nurses desk and said what does it take to get my wife help her temp is 107.5 the nurse said I was not told she needed help and that temp is impossible he said well she needs it and you need to come now. She did follow him to the room
but instead of checking my temp she started messing with IV he stopped her and said check her temp now! She did and it was 107.6 so she called the rapid rsponse team who went to work I remember the nurse on the RR team saying oh shit and responding her temp
is high but her blood pressure is 65/30 HR was high. They immediately started dumping bags of ice on me (25) and rushed me to the ICU but it took a day for my temp to get below 104 and by that night I could hardly breathe the next morning they had to place
me on a vent because I had developed ARDS and was getting septic. I was on the vent for serveral days. There is other problems but this is the short version and i was wondering do I have a case or not. I walked in that hospital on my own and left on a walker,
had to be taught how to hold a fork to eat and vocal chord problems with slurred speech just to name a few. Did I have a heat stroke from the temp. More than likely.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
6/17/2015
Personal Injury Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
Yes, you have a case. A temperature of 104 is already dangerously high. The nurse should've taken immediate action to bring down your temperature once she saw how bad the fever was. Ignoring a fever of 100 is also an issue, when you were telling them you were feeling worse and no one did anything. So, you do have a claim against the hospital and the nurses who gave such inadequate attention to you while you were entrusted to their care.
Medical malpractice cases require a medical expert, someone who can review your medical records and tell the judge, "Yes, this fever is why this patient developed ARDS, here's the anticipated treatment, and here's what it'll cost." If you have a regular physician who can examine you and testify, that's great.
Usually, it's a good idea to have a local attorney help with medical malpractice cases. This is because they can help you find and prepare an expert witness, make sure you have all the medical bills and records you need, and research recent jury verdicts and settlements to see what type of money people with similar injuries are getting. A lawyer can often help a person get more in pain and suffering than they'd get on their own. And lawyers take medical malpractice cases on contingency, so you should only have to pay if you win (read any contract before you sign, but that's how it's supposed to work).
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.