How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 118689
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This question is for a Maritime lawyer. Need to know if there

This answer was rated:

This question is for a Maritime lawyer.
Need to know if there is any medical or other compensations available through gov't or other recoarses. I have been diagnosed with lung cancer and non-meso asbetosis that is attached to the tumor. Doctors say it is very likely the asbestosis caused the tumors.


Vernon Marshall
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The Longshore and Harbor Workers Act and also the Jones Act if you were a seaman, both provide coverage for workers who have contracted asbestosis while working on ships either in dock or at sea. You would have to consider filing a workers compensation claim against your former employer (even if they are out of business) through the Department of Labor and you really should consider engaging a local Longshore and Harbor Workers Claim attorney to represent you since this is such a long time from when you worked to when this has appeared as they will need to present evidence to the Department of Labor for your proof of claim, which includes your medical records.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am 66 years old and has been a long time since I worked on boats.

I was told that there is a gov't fund or medicare fund for these.

I do appreciate your help


Thank you for your response.

There is a government fund, it is run under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Act and the Jones Act, which is why I provided you the link above. You have to file a workers compensation claim under those acts, since this is one of the types of cases that does not materialize for many years after employment ends and that is the first step in pursuing your claim.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you