How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask richanne96 Your Own Question
richanne96, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 338
Experience:  Attorney in private practice in Phoenix, AZ
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
richanne96 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is hopefully for a Florida based attny. I have

This answer was rated:

My question is hopefully for a Florida based attny.
I have been diagnosed with lung tumors with high probably of lung cancer.
I have a final (of 2) biopsy tomorrow.(Guided)
My question is: I worked at 3 different shipyards from 1978-1981 and on many boats in the late 60's. However most are out of buisness. Is there a "fund" for asbestos (non-meso)through a gov't agency.

Vernon Marshall

richanne96 :

Thank you for choosing Just Answer. There is special workers' compensation coverage for people who work at shipyards. It is under the Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act. You should contact a maritime lawyer about your claim. Under this act, if you experience an injury such as you have described here while on the job you are entitled to disability benefits while you can not work and medical benefits. However, as with regular worker's compensation, you can not sue your employer or otherwise recover from your employer for pain and suffering. However, you may be able to sue any negligent third parties. I hope this is helpful to you.

richanne96 and 3 other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Personal Injury Law Questions