How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon, Esq. Your Own Question
Brandon, Esq.
Brandon, Esq., Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 1953
Experience:  Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Brandon, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was hit by a bus in 2009. We have a police report and

This answer was rated:

My son was hit by a bus in 2009. We have a police report and it was a bus owned by the city. At the hospital, the representatives of the bus wanted me to sign paperwork and get my medical bills paid. I refused to sign since I was really concerned about my son. I then went through a bad divorce and now I have bills I still have to pay that are related to my son's hospital bills. Is it too late to sue the bus company and city for my son's injuries?

Brandon, Esq. :

Hello and thank you for your question today.

Brandon, Esq. :

Are you online with me?

Customer: yes
Brandon, Esq. :

Welcome to the chat

Brandon, Esq. :

Was your son a minor at the time?

Customer: thnks
Customer: yes. He still is.
Brandon, Esq. :

You can bring a claim up until 6 months after your sons 18th birthday (2 years if not against the city)

Brandon, Esq. :

Since your son is still a minor, it is not to late to sue the bus company for your sons injuries.

Customer: OH. we are in california..
Customer: I thought that there was a Peronsal injury limitation of 4 years. but guess I was wrong.
Brandon, Esq. :

So it is 6 months against government entities and 2 years for private individuals.

Brandon, Esq. :

That statute is tolled during the period where a person is "incapacitated."

Brandon, Esq. :

being a minor is considered to fall under that category

Customer: Oh. I c. that is good news.
Customer: As his parent I guess I can't sue for emotional distress or pain and suffering because its been 4 years?
Brandon, Esq. :


Brandon, Esq. :

Not to mention, you would actually have to have been there to have any type of claim like this

Customer: ok.
Customer: If I have paid some bills out of pocket..I can still sue for those?
Brandon, Esq. :

Your son can recover for any expenses that occurred as a result of the accident. So, if you paid for doctors bills, gas to and from the doctors, etc. you can recover for that amount.

Customer: Ok. Thank you. That clears it up. Do they have any defense since it has been 4 years?
Brandon, Esq. :

Not against your son.

Brandon, Esq. :

Well, I shouldn't say that

Brandon, Esq. :

Only because I don't know the facts of the case

Brandon, Esq. :

so for example, they could try to argue assumption of risk

Brandon, Esq. :

if your son was running in the middle of the freeway, they may have an argument for contributory negligence

Brandon, Esq. :

The best thing you can do at this point is to get a personal injury attorney in your area involved. If you decide to hire an attorney a great resource is This is a nationwide directory that is useful in finding highly qualified legal specialists in various fields of law. The lawyers in Martindale are not selected because they paid to be included, but rather because they have been rated by other attorneys as qualified experts in their field. Consider consulting with two or three different attorneys willing to take your case prior to selecting the one you feel most comfortable with.

Customer: I understand..
Customer: thanks. I will do that.
Customer: I will now give you credit.
Brandon, Esq. :

Thank you very much.

Brandon, Esq. :

Have a wonderful rest of your evening.

Brandon, Esq. and 2 other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you