How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  Personal Injury & Wrongful Death experience includes judgment for $10M & $3M settlement
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, During the spring of 2013 I suffered from a massive

This answer was rated:

During the spring of 2013 I suffered from a massive infection and was treated in a large hospital in Tampa, Florida. During my subesquent stay in an independent rehab I was required to visit the cardiologist who was on the treating team and has an office in the hospital complex. As I was still convalescing, walking on a cane, my wife drove me to the hospital from the rehab facility.
There we needed to use an elevator. This is where our troubles started.
My wife was in front of me in the elevator and when we arrived on the desired floor the single door opened and my wife started to walk out. At that moment, just seconds from opening, the door started to close again. The door struck my wife in the shoulder and she fell to the floor. I pushed the door back and other passengers held the contol buttons. I tried to help my wife back up but was advised by by-standers to wait for hospital personnel. A security guard came with a wheel chair. My wife was helped into the wheel chair by the hospital security guard and I was told that she would be taken to the Emergency Room. After my visit with my doctor, I found my wife being examined in the hospital Emergency Room. The exams took about two hours after which my wife was released by the hospital staff with the results being no broken bones, a bruise on her right shoulder, two swollen knees, a swelling on her forehead and a scrape on the bridge of her nose from her glasses.
We accepted the examinations and medical steps taken as professinal precautions by the hospital in cases of this sort and left it at that.
This summer we received billings and payment demands for the examinations, including the cost for a cast scan that amount to several thousand dollars. My wife contacted the hospital by phone and was told by a male individual that "this is all in error and will be taken care of...." The payment demands continued. A subsequent call to the same individual gave the reassurance of " not to worry, it will be taken care of...."
The payment demands continued. My wife called again and this time it was a female voice that informed her that "All of our elevators are in perfect order....."
Now we have been informed that these demands will be handled by a collection agency.
We are perplexed by these demands for payment of examinations, none of which were requested or specifically authorized by us. We seem to need legal advice.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX in Lexington, Kentucky

Hello and welcome, Alex.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Are you willing to take legal action against the hospital if necessary?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Tina,

The legal action step had crossed our minds. For that we had contacted a law firm in Tampa but ultimately were informed that there was little merit in pursuing this case. We are not bent on "revenge." However, this develoment caught us completely by surprise. If necessary we can take up the legal action again.

Hello again, Alex, and thank you for clarifying that for me.

This would typically involve a personal injury claim for which the owner of the building would be liable for your wife's medical costs, so the hospital should not be billing you or your wife for the procedures required because of their own elevator door.

I would look for a local personal injury law firm to pursue litigation against the hospital as they would likely write off this debt to settle the case, but you will also want your attorney's fees covered so an attorney will have an incentive to pursue this on your behalf.

It sounds like you have a good case since you were a witness to the events and a small personal injury firm should be able to represent you in this matter, although a larger one probably won't want the case because there are not extensive damages to pursue.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!


Hello again, Alex.

I wanted to clarify that the suit would typically be against the rehab if that is where your wife's injuries occurred, not the hospital, but they should ultimately pay her hospital bills as a result of a personal injury suit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OOps, I lost you. In you clarification I have to say that the rehab has no connection in this case only that I was the patient there.

My wife is the injured person in this case and the injury was sustained on the grounds of the hospital where I was previously.

However, I would ask you to answer me two questions:


1. Should we seek the help of a personal injury law firm in Florida or Kentucky. Forida is where it happened and is our winter residence. Kentucky is our summer residence.


2. Where would one look for a personal injury law firm for the state of Florida?

Hello again, Alex.

My apologies for the confusion about who to sue. It wasn't clear to me but if your wife's injuries took place on the hospital's property, they are the ones you should normally sue.

Look for a FL personal injury attorney since any suit would normally need to be filed there. The state bar association can provide you with attorney referrals. Here is a link to their site for your reference:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, thank you Tina. I will make the contact with the link that you gave me. I will now make the requested rating, it will be a Smiley!

You are very welcome, Alex, and thank you so much in advance for the positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you. Good luck to you and take care!

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.

Tina and other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning Tina,


Many thanks for the follow up. I would like to ask you to send me the link again for the Florida Bar. org as the width of this type of correspondence clipped a portion off and it did not connect. However, I did find the address and telephone number for the Hillsborough County bar association and they finally sent me the address and phone number for a lawyer bith the name of Bill McKnight. I gave his secretary a short description of the case and she seems to have consulted with him. He ultimately declined with the explanation that this case was outside of his decicated practice, or some such agricultural term. He either does not see enough opportunity for his efforts or he sees a difficulty within Hillsborough County or the hospital. In any case, I am quite happy that you came back with a contact. Ultimately we might have to present this to the Florida State Attorney's office, what do you think? My concern is that if we react in any way favorable it would be an admission of some sort of our "guilt." On the other hand, what can they do if we refuse to pay? One of the things they can do is to attack our credit rating. Well, we are pushing into our eighties, have not debts und don't plan to make large purchases. Of course they might put a lien against our house or something of that sort. For right now, we are grateful for any kind of help from you. Thanks again.

BTW: Yes we did give a very good comment of your services.

Our e-mail address is: [email protected]

or [email protected]


Hello again, Alex.

Here is the link to the state bar association's referral service again:

The state attorney general's office would not be able to assist you with this. You do need to retain a personal injury attorney to represent your wife on a contingency fee basis. I would continue contacting small PI practices until you locate one who is willing to represent your wife. It is not a big case, so larger firms are not likely to take it, but a smaller firm is more likely to.

The creditor could place the account on your credit report but could not typically place a lien against any of your property without a judgment against you first.
Hello again, Alex.

I'm not sure why you would be having trouble viewing the link. The site does not permit me to communicate with you outside of this forum and your e-mail address is blocked out by the site, so I cannot see it.

Please use the "help" button on your screen to contact customer service so they can aid you in viewing your page properly. Or you can call them at 1.888.862.9212.

You are very welcome and take care!
Tina and other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I will try it this way. Please keep checking back with us occasionally.


Will do. Good luck to you.
Hello again, Alex.

Were you able to locate an attorney to represent your wife yet? I hope you are well on your way to resolving the issue with the hospital by now.

Warmest regards,

Tina at

Related Personal Injury Law Questions