Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Personal Injury Law

About 5 or more years ago I fell and knocked out my two front

teeth. Actually, had low blood...
About 5 or more years ago I fell and knocked out my two front teeth. Actually, had low blood sugar and passed out. Have had multiple major work done to try to handle pain with no avail. root canals, x-rays, peal and scrape, - no one found anything. Hospital took x-rays and did nothing more. I now have seen a doctor who says I broke my pallet and it was never set and has healed improperly. My next trip is to a plastic surgeon who deals in facial bones. Is there any liability on the part of the hospital for not finding - treating - or referring me for the broken pallet? This hospital actually listed the problem as a drug problem - NOT. I was given glucose in ambulance in route to the hospital.
8/23/2013
richanne96
richanne96, Attorney

richanne96 :

Hello. I am reading your question now. Please give me a moment to review it.

Customer:

kk

richanne96 :

There may very well be a claim here against the hospital for misdiagnosis.

richanne96 :

You will only know for sure if you get your medical records from the hospital and since to a personal injury attorney who can give them to a medical expert to review.

richanne96 :

The personal injury should not charge you for the initial consultation.

richanne96 :

S/he will get your records to a medical expert to review.

Customer:

I will get a copy of my medical records tomorrow. Or ask for them. Know they take a few days to find

richanne96 :

If the medical expert thinks the hospital conduct fell below the standard of care, the personal injury lawyer will take your case on a contingency fee basis, meaning there will be no charge to you until s/he settles or wins your case.

richanne96 :

They can take a few days, but you have a right to all your records.

richanne96 :

You can either get them yourself, or you can sign a waiver, and your personal injury lawyer can get them, but that usually takes longer.

Customer:

I took my x daughter in law in to this hospital when having a seizure and they tried to tell me she was on PCP. I kept insisting that she did not do drugs and that she was having a low blood sugar episode - so this hospital is very negligent.

richanne96 :

It sure sounds that way. I think I would make it a point to avoid that hospital in the future, if at all possible.

richanne96 :

Did this incident with your tooth happen five years ago at the hospital? If so, when did your first become aware that the hospital was negligent?

Customer:

I had a large bottle of vicoden in medication box. That was from a friend who had just stayed with me who had shoulder replacement through VA hospital. He would not take pain meds and I simply put them out of reach. My blood work - which the hospital did do - will verify that I did not have vicoden in my system.

Customer:

The incident happened 5 or so years ago - and it was only last month that I was made aware that I had broken my pallet. I had massive pain and went to doctors and dentists to find out why but no one ever evaluated the fact that anything else other than my teeth were injured

richanne96 :

You want to be sure to get to a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. The statute of limitations on medical malpractice in California is only one year.

Customer:

One of the first dentists pealed back my guns and took out dirt, bone fragments and a small piece of wood. But they never looked beyond just the tooth and root being ripped out of my face.

richanne96 :

But it is one year from when you became aware or should have become aware of the negligence.

Customer:

Until now everyone had thought that I simply had damaged my teeth or the bony part that the teeth are imbedded in. No one ever looked at any other part of my face or pallet.

Customer:

So I was not aware that the pallet was broken until one month ago.

richanne96 :

I understand. Still, one year is not a long time when you need to collect medical records and have experts review them.

Customer:

I took for granted that the hospital had looked for anything that would have been broken. They took MRI or whatever was necessary to examine head trauma

richanne96 :

Sure. Makes sense. Be sure and get your records and get to a personal injury lawyer in California ASAP. I hope this was helpful.

Customer:

Yes it was. If nothing else - I can file a claim against the hospital if it looks like the year is running out. Not sure what they call it but I know it can be done. I know it is really difficult to find a medical malpractice lawyer.

richanne96 :

There are good directories of attorneys at Martindale.com, Avvo.com and Attorneypages.com. Also, the California bar may be able to help.

Customer:

Thanks. On it tomorrow

richanne96
richanne96, Attorney
richanne96
richanne96
richanne96, Attorney