Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

I had a bad experience in a hospital ER. I was admitted after

I had a bad experience in a hospital ER. I was admitted after an accident and was unconscious for 4 hrs. When I came to I asked if my husband had been notified and was told no. I asked for them to call him and let him know where I was, the nurse refused, I then asked for my cell phone so I could call him and was told no again. I begged and pleaded for him to be called was repeatedly told no. I got hysterical and started crying and streaming at that point I was put in leather restraints so tight my ankles and wrists were bruised. Is there any damages I can win for this mistreatment?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Under Nevada law a hospital may use physical restraint on a patient they believe might be a danger of harm to themselves or others. If you were improperly restrained or restrained for an improper reason, then you would have a claim for damages for malpractice against them if you received injury. While you should have been allowed to call your family or the hospital should have notified your family, if they prove your behavior got to the point where it was potentially a harm to you or the others in the facility, they might be able to defeat your claim. However, in Nevada all medical malpractice cases, before they can even be filed, must have a medical expert review the treatment you received and the records to determine if you have sufficient grounds for a claim and even if you go to a NV attorney, they still cannot make that determination fully other than to tell you that you potentially do have a claim , but they need to get your medical records and have them evaluated by an expert to make the actual determination that the conduct of the hospital in restraining you was or was not proper medically.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

.