Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide basic personal injury advice to my clients in my own practice.
18572087

A few months ago my fiance was in a vehicle accident, where

A few months ago my fiance was in a vehicle accident, where the other person was at fault, my fiance went to the hospital with minor injuries *stiff muscles, bumps bruises*, she also went through treatment with a Chiro for 3 months. The car was totaled and she did lose some time at work, and we had to pay for some of the rental out of pocket. The insurance recently offered us an initial pain and suffering settlement of $3300, and I wanted to know if this was at all reasonable. If not what is a more reasonable acceptable offer to pursue.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

If I may ask, what have been your medical expenses so far? How much have you paid for her chiropractor and the hospital stay?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would have to get the hospital stay information, but the chiro I believe was $2140.00

Thank you for your follow-up.

The reason I ask is because typically the rule of thumb of estimating what potential 'pain and suffering' would be is about 3 to 5 times the medical bills that the person incurred. If the bills were about $2,000, then at most you are looking at possibly a $10,000 payoff. As a consequence you can start at that amount and negotiate down if you like, if you feel that the current amount is somehow too low.

Hope that helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just one follow question, I know the insurance is not out for our best interest, and is looking to settle for as low as possible, is there any type of verbage that we could use to basically say what you are explaining, so that the insurance company knows we arent just some run of the mill push over "client"

Thank you for your follow-up.

You are indeed correct, they are out for their own botXXXXX XXXXXne primarily and not out for you. There is no 'best' language but you can point out that if they fail to provide additional costs, you will retain counsel and sue for actual costs, which will increase their costs and will not really affect you going forward.

Good luck.