How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend of mine needs to learn how to drive. I am willing

This answer was rated:

A friend of mine needs to learn how to drive. I am willing to teach her on my vehicle but I am concerned about liability. She is married and she is listed on her husband's insurance policy as a driver.

If she is driving my car and I am in the passenger seat..

Who's insurance policy would cover (mine or theirs)?
Is the fact that she is on a learning license cause for negligence on my part?
Is there anything I can do to protect myself from liability besides transferring my vehicle to her?

If she is driving her vehicle and I am in the passenger seat..

Could I still be liable for an accident?

Good morning from southeast Georgia,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion, Brian. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under GA law, a liability policy follows the car. What this means is that in the event that a permissive operator of your vehicle (your friend) gets in an at fault accident, your auto policy on your car would be primary---paying all damages to others and for damage to your car. Your friend's policy on any autos belonging to her and her husband would provide only secondary coverage---only paying after the limits of your car's policy had been exhausted,

So, your insurance will cover any losses first if she is driving your car.

The fact that she only has a learner’s license and must operate a car only with another licensed adult driver does not vest you with personal liability for her actions, or an accident, while she is driving.

If you want your vehicle's insurance not involved in the event of a collision, then about all you can do is agree to teach her in a vehicle belonging to her and her husband.

Your presence in the car in the event of an accident would not result in you being personally liable---unless you directed her to do something like travel the wrong direction on a one way street. Doing something like that---negligently directing her to violate a traffic law---could result in personal liability to you as well. However, as it is your car, your policy would protect you as well in that instance.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,


LawTalk and 3 other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Brian. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.