Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Personal Injury Law

I want to find out if there is still a chance to file a suit

- class action or private...
I want to find out if there is still a chance to file a suit - class action or private against the tobacco cos. When I tried to several years ago, the site would not let me file. They said I was not qualified. Heck, I had bad emphysema for 8 years getting progressively worse. Eventually I was on 17 liters per minute of oxygen and had to have a single lung transplant done at the Mayo in Jacksonville, FL. I am pretty good four years later, but I and my family and caregivers endured some rough times including the financial impact.

Please let me know if there is any way I can sue them. I know that they will probably never pay off, but just maybe ?

Thanks, XXXXX
Fort Myers, FL
7/16/2013
Fran-mod
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Hi Fran:

Thanks for the update. Yes, I would still like you to research this subject. Whatever the legal source I need, I will use. I still do not understand why I could not register for the original class action. Perhaps, if you cannot help me in any other way, you can send or tell me where I can get a copy of the rules for that original class action filing.

I will await your answers.

Thanks,

Jan Burket

Wendy-Mod
Hello Jan,

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Wendy

We are still working with the professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Whether or not you can sue is going to be contingent on the strength of your doctor's reports and your medical records directly relating your medical condition to cigarette smoking/tobacco. We cannot evaluate your chances of success through this site because we do not have the access needed to those records to evaluate your evidence. However, presuming your medical documentation relates the cause of you illness to smoking and tobacco, then you can still file suit against the tobacco company for your illness, but it will have to be based on a personal suit against the companies and you are going to need to locate a local law firm that has tobacco litigation experience to take on the case which you can find at http://www.martindale.com or http://www.lexmundi.com or http://www.hg.org and they will have to evaluate your medical records to determine the strength of your case.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney