How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 29981
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

for pain and suffering what should I get 50,000 dr bill

This answer was rated:

for pain and suffering what should I get 50,000 dr bill

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The general rule of thumb is that a person can get 3-5 times the medical bills. That's a starting point for negotiating for many people. However, in recent years, insurance companies are often offering amounts as low as 1-2 times the medical bills (or sometimes less). But there isn't a set limit. What a lawyer typically does in these cases is search for jury verdicts where someone had a similar injury, to see how much the jury awarded. The jury can award any amount that they think is appropriate. Having those numbers available can sometimes help negotiate a larger award that what you would have gotten otherwise.

If there is a law library near you with Westlaw or LexisNexis access, you may want to visit and see what you can find (the librarian will show you how to search). If not, you may want to consider sitting down with a local attorney. They usually take 30% of the recovery, but can sometimes help you get more money than you would negotiate on your own.

One very important thing to remember: If your medical bills were paid by your health insurance company or by Medicare, you have to repay them from the proceeds of the sale. If you settle for just the medical bills, you may not have anything left after the insurance company reclaims their money. It's called subrogation, and it's in every insurance contract, so don't let the other side pressure you into settling quickly for an amount that will turn out to be inadequate.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq. and 2 other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Personal Injury Law Questions