Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Personal Injury Law

I was involved in an auto accident, and I was issued a ticket.

There was no ambulance called...
I was involved in an auto accident, and I was issued a ticket. There was no ambulance called, everyone was fine. The person I hit was walking around, talking and there seemed to be absolutely nothing wrong. Two weeks later, I was notified by my insurance company that the person I hit now has an injury claim with them. My question is "What is the possible settlement amount that would be awarded to someone who walked away seemingly fine?" Personally, I believe that this person hired an attorney just to see if he could get any type of settlement.
7/3/2013
socrateaser, Attorney

A personal injury lawyer will take any case that he/she believes can be settled for less than the cost of litigation. The insurance company would have to pay between $25,000-50,000 to litigate this matter. So, if the insurer can get a settlement for less than $25,000, then that is a bargain.

It doesn't really matter whether or not you are guilty of a criminal act. All the lawyer must show is that you were driving with a lack of due care in general at the time that the injury occurred.

People who are injured by a traumatic impact frequently do not show the injury immediately, because of the adrenaline rush that accompanies the realization of the injury. So, it would be fairly easy for the plaintiff to claim that he/she didn't feel anything until hours after the injury occurred.

All of this is pretty routine in personal injury law, and I would not be surprised to see the insurer offer up to $20,000 to settle the case immediately.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Attorney

Thank you for your answer. Obviously, walking away from an accident appearing to be just fine is far better than visible injuries or whiplash. The person I hit admitted to the insurance company that he got a phone call and quickly pulled over into the middle of 6 lanes of traffic going on average of 60+ miles per hour. This was on a phone deposition. The third vehicle in the accident saw the same thing. I was basically forced into the accident. My coverage is 100/300. Do you forsee that I have anything to worry about with regard to going over those limits and having to pay out of my own personal assets? I believe this guy is just trying to get something for being, forgive my language, "Stupid".

socrateaser, Attorney