How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 118087
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Several trees belonging to my neighbor overhang my property,

This answer was rated:

Several trees belonging to my neighbor overhang my property, one by over 20 feet. The trees are old and look half dead. I consider them to be in a dangerous condition.

I wrote to them over a year ago asking them to trim the trees but received no response.

I must tell you that these are the neighbors from hell. We do not have a friendly relationship. This is currently aggravated by their pit-bull escaping from their back yard a few weeks ago and biting me. We reported that to Metro animal control and the case come to court shortly.

I looked at the local municipal codes and found the frequently asked question below.

◾My neighbor’s tree overhangs the fence onto my property. Who can I call to help me?

This City of Casper has no jurisdiction on issues between private property owners. You would need to settle the dispute yourselves, file a complaint against your neighbor in Court, or refer the dispute to an attorney.

How would I go about filing a complaint? or what would you recommend I should do?

Thank you...
Thank you for your response. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Wyoming follows the common law of property with regards XXXXX XXXXX trees on neighboring property. Under common law, if a neighbor's tree overhangs your property, you have the legal right to remove or trim all overhanging branches as long as you do so without damaging his trees.

If you can prove the entire tree is dead and that it causes a danger, then you can sue him for "nuisance" and ask the court to abate the nuisance by ordering the removal of the trees.

I suggest the first thing you do is properly remove any branches overhanging your property or use a professional to do so. If that will not resolve the problem, then you would need a general litigation or a real estate law attorney locally to file suit for nuisance to ask for the court to order the removal of the trees and you can find a local attorney at the same sites used by other attorneys, or or

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you