How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 12933
Experience:  Attorney with significant personal injury experience
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was involved in a accident May 18th. I was at a stop sign

This answer was rated:

I was involved in a accident May 18th. I was at a stop sign , a young lady ran the sign coming from the other direction , got tagged and slid into the drivers door. I had prior back problems and even had back x-rays with a therapy appointment on the 21st but was in Utah (accident location) and the appointment was in California (didn't receive notice until after I left California), Once back in California the young ladies insurance (Alstate)total my car , since the accident I had to get in and out the passenger side door., I am a auto body tech , and on disability until June 2nd from a Hernia operation on April 2. I went to my VA doctor and requested and got new back xrays to compare to the ones I had a month prior. They called me and said there was no additional injury. I didn't really notice any additional pain until about a week after the accident now it seems as if the pain is more intense and more constant. I don't want to cheat the insurance company but I don't want to cheat myself either. What do you recommend I do at this time?
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. I am very sorry to hear about your accident.

I understand your desire to be honest and not cheat the insurance company, but the fact is you have been injured as a result of this car accident. If the impact was severe enough to total your car and it was into the driver's side door, that is a HARD hit.

Settlement with the at-fault party's insurance company is your one chance to obtain the compensation you deserve for past and future medical treatment as well as your pain and suffering, which may persist for some period of time into the future. You don't want to short change yourself, and so it is important to take this process seriously, as soft tissue injuries can take a week or more to manifest and become progressively worse.

Due to the complexity of your claim with prior injuries, I think it is especially important to retain a personal injury attorney who can help distinguish your accident-related injuries from your pre-existing condition, set you up with a chiropractor on a lien basis (meaning you don't have to pay anything out of pocket but they are entitled to payment from the eventual settlement proceeds of your case), and effectively argue your case to the insurance company.

See here for local referrals: You may also want to check, where you can search attorneys by location and practice area. You will want an attorney who specializes in representing plaintiffs in personal injury matters.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes to you and thank you so much for coming to Just Answer.
Patrick, Esq. and other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you