How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 29985
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sutures were placed over my eye by a PA at an Urgent care clinic.

This answer was rated:

Sutures were placed over my eye by a PA at an Urgent care clinic. Surgical glue was also placed over the stitches. When my PCP tried to remove the stitches, the glue had to be removed as well, causing the wound to reopen. The Dr had to bring it back together with Steri-strips, and said I would need a plastic surgery revision down the road.
So is the Urgent Care that provided the flawed wound care responsible for the damages? Or will I have to live with a terrible 2 1/2 in scar over my eye forever?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

If they made a mistake in treating the wound that caused the scar, then yes, they may be responsible for the costs of fixing it, plus any missed work and pain and suffering. If, however, the possibility of scarring was one of the risks of the procedure that you had done, and they told you about the risk in advance, then you may not be able to recover (if they didn't make a mistake). That's the standard in a medical malpractice case. It comes down to whether similar doctors would have done the same thing in that situation or if your doctor made a mistake. It sounds like they may have made a mistake, but I'm not an eye surgeon.

Medical malpractice cases are difficult to evaluate online. What the injured party needs to win is a medical expert who can say "Here's what happened. Here's what should have happened, and here's what the doctor did wrong." That requires having someone who can read the medical records and look at your injuries (also, make sure you have plenty of pictures, because the scar may heal at least a bit over time. You want to be able to show how bad it was). Many medical malpractice attorneys have doctors that they work with regularly who can review records for them. Most of them work on a contingency basis, so you would only pay the lawyer after you win the case. A good place to find someone in your area is

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq. and 2 other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The Dr at Urgent Care told me about the risk of scaring without consulting a plastic surgeon. But my primary care was not happy about the wound opening up and the prognosis is not good. I will take pictures to document the healing as you suggested.

Thank you so much for your help.


If the extent of the injury exceeded the stated risk, that can also help your case.

Good luck. I hope you're able to get it fixed.

Related Personal Injury Law Questions