How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 9389
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was working on a ship in the Orient (commercial) and started

This answer was rated:

I was working on a ship in the Orient (commercial) and started coughing up blood and wheezing. Company sent me to doctor in China - given medication (several) with instructions in Chinese only. Taken back to ship - told captain I still could not breathe and I don't know how to take the medicine. Tried taking medication by guessing because captain would not return me to doctor - kept in room for three days and refused further medical care - thought I might not make it. Made it back home, but have sought counseling because of poor treatment - also a pulmonologist is treating me. Is there possible liability for not giving adequately marked prescriptions and refusing further medical attention? I know this is a Jones Act case.
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sure Wendy - I can wait. Please continue to look for a professional to answer.
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

I agree you have a case against the employer, but it seems to be more than a claim under the Jones Act. There have been medical malpractice cases filed under the Jones Act.

Forcing you to stay in your room for 3 days seems actionable as false imprisonment.

I would need to see any written contract between you and the employer to be able to form an opinion on your other claims.

You can get a free consultation from some of the maritime law attorneys listed by location at

Please follow up on this with a local attorney. I think you have a valid case.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Satisfied Customers: 9389
Experience: since 1983
N Cal Attorney and 2 other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the Excellent rating!