How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JPEsq Your Own Question
JPEsq, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 5106
Experience:  Experience as both Plaintiff's and Defense lawyer
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
JPEsq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a total hip replacement may 16th. There were complication

This answer was rated:

I had a total hip replacement may 16th. There were complication and part of sciatic nerve was damaged leaving me with "Drop Foot" which had caused me to add up PT bills and I had to extend my short term disability another month or so. I have had severe pain and still have limited use of my left foot which I was told may or may not come back to 100%. I will return back to work August 15th, but still walk with a limp and have pain. My work requires me to stand and walk all 10 hours of my shift. I wonder if I will be able to keep my job with this disability now with my foot. My question is do I have any recourse with recovering cost associated with this complication or perhaps possible loss of my job? I feel 80 in a 49 year old body! Just not sure where to go from here....Please Help!! Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

You may very well have recourse against the surgeon that performed the procedure... but a lawyer would need to know if the surgeon did something wrong or made a mistake. In order to know whether this is the case or not, lawyers need a medical opinion from another doctor telling us whether this is common or unavoidable for hip replacements, or whether there was some negligence on the part of the surgeon. If there was, then you would be able to recover for medical malpractice.

Most medical malpractice lawyers will want you to come in with an opinion from a doctor stating that there was something done wrong. Doctors don't have to be perfect when performing procedures, they are held to the professional standard of others in the same line of work.

So the first thing to do would be get an opinion on whether this is a mistake or whether it is just a common side effect of hip replacements. You can talk to a lawyer first, and some will refer you to a doctor for an opinion.

JPEsq and 3 other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you