How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead Personal Injury Trial Lawyer
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In reference to accident in Texas on 6/6/12. There was a witness

This answer was rated:

In reference to accident in Texas on 6/6/12. There was a witness in the car behind me that saw the accident. He made a statement at the scene of the accident. He can confirm the serious errors on the report. Can he also contact the DPS Trooper about amending the accident report?

The witness can also contact the DPS officer and request a change. Also, its a good idea to get the witness to write out a statement and then sign it. That way you can make sure you have a record in case that witness disappears and also its a document that you can use to either support your claim, or defend yourself with if someone is claiming against you.

Here is the Texas Transportation Code Section which allows the DPS officer to change the accident report (just in case they try to tell you that they can't change it):

Sec. 550.068. CHANGING ACCIDENT REPORT. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a change in or a modification of a written report of a motor vehicle accident prepared by a peace officer or the operator of a vehicle involved in an accident that alters a material fact in the report may be made only by the peace officer or person who prepared the report.
(b) A change in or a modification of the written report of the accident may be made by a person other than the peace officer or the operator of the vehicle if:
(1) the change is made by a written supplement to the report; and
(2) the written supplement clearly indicates the name of the person who originated the change.
TexLaw and other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you