Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

I sustained a thoracic spine injury in 2003, when jerked away…

Customer Question
I sustained a thoracic spine...
I sustained a thoracic spine injury in 2003, when jerked away from an adult sized child who was going to punch me in the face. I received a 9% disability rating and $9000.00.

Workman's comp has been paying for my pain meds.

They now want to settle for $35000.00. I don't want to be greedy. Is that amount a typical amount for a spinal inury.

Your input would be appreciated
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
3/12/2012
Personal Injury Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
The amount of the settlement is based on your permanent disability rating, which at 9% is relatively low. You would have to look at the total amount of workers compensation benefits you would lose for your 9% disability up until your retirement age to determine if they are in the proper range (an attorney would need to examine your pay rates at the time of the injury and your benefit payments to make a full proper determination which we cannot do here in this forum), but as a general rule if they are offering $35,000, they likely have authority to go to $50,000. If you are able to continue working, then the offer is in the ballpark if they are going to continue paying your medicals. If they are not going to continue medicals then you need to consider going to a workers compensation attorney and pursuing more because as time goes on a back injury gets worse not better.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT and/or the HAPPY SMILEY FACE button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Thank you very much. I figured that $50,000 was a more likely amount. As a counter offer I will ask for $48,000. I would be satified with something in the middle. Again, thank you for your assistance.

Typically they will come back at $38,000 or somewhere in that range, so you just need to negotiate with them.