Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

I saw a doctor who misdiagnosed migraines for an inner ear…

Customer Question
I saw a doctor who...
I saw a doctor who misdiagnosed migraines for an inner ear problem. She ignored my symptoms of headache and light sensitivity and prescribed medications that cause dizziness. I stopped seeing her and do not want to pay the outstanding bills. How can I do this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
3/2/2012
Personal Injury Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 6 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

I am sorry to hear about your difficulties

Have you gone to another doctor?

Was that how you know that you have been "misdiagnosed" by the previous doctor?
I have been to another doctor who diagnosed me with migraines. Also I do have medical insurance. The doctor I do not want to pay is out of network, so the insurance company made some payments, I made some payments at each visit and then received a large bill months after my last appointment.

Thank you for the information:

Question: I saw a doctor who misdiagnosed migraines for an inner ear problem. She ignored my symptoms of headache and light sensitivity and prescribed medications that cause dizziness. I stopped seeing her and do not want to pay the outstanding bills. How can I do this?

Response: Send a written formal notice to the doctor that you dispute the validity of the debt because you were misdiagnosed by the doctor, that you have since gone to another doctor and received correct diagnosis and are paying for that additional expense. That you do not intend to pay any more bills for the misdiagnosis and that the doctor's office should refrain from contacting you with regard to the bill.
Just ignore them after that. Then, if or when they sue you, then use the misdiagnosis as a defense.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
For E-Lawyer:

The doctor's Patient Accounts Department replied defending themselves (their description was far from the truth), asking me to review an enclosed contract (which was not enclosed) accepting financial responsibility for my care and the services I requested and received. Also stating the account will be scheduled for collections of the full amount plus and interest and fees.

What is my next step.
For E-Lawyer:

What is my next step.

Response:
For the record, send a response making clear that once again that you are disputing their version of the events and thus do not intend to pay the bill. That the alleged contract that you were asked to review was not even attached to their letter. You want to do this to show that you communicated with them every step of the way to dispute the bill. Keep a copy of each correspondence for your records
For E-Lawyer:

I forgot to mention to you that the doctor is asking me to pay 80% of the remaining charges which still totals $1800 (the same amount they already received equally from me and my insurance company). I wonder if I should mention that I may feel compelled to leave my remarks on Doctor Rating websites which would have a negative impact on her practice (as in not acquiring new patients).

Question: I forgot to mention to you that the doctor is asking me to pay 80% of the remaining charges which still totals $1800 (the same amount they already received equally from me and my insurance company). I wonder if I should mention that I may feel compelled to leave my remarks on Doctor Rating websites which would have a negative impact on her practice (as in not acquiring new patients).

Response: You can say that. In any event paying 80% of the remaining charges does not change the fact that you should not be responsible for the bill in the first place.