Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

My father underwent a cystoscopy on Nov. 22nd following a history…

Customer Question
My father underwent a cystoscopy...
My father underwent a cystoscopy on Nov. 22nd following a history of urinary retention. within 48 hours following the procedure he was admitted to the ICU with a diagnosis of septic shock. During a conversation with the physician who was providing his care in the ICU, he mentioned that my father probably contracted bactremia from the cystoscopy. I have obtained the medical records from the urologist who performed the procedure and my father was not prescribed a prophylactic antibiotic even though he had a history of urinary problems over the year prior to the cystoscopy. My father died on Dec. 6 from septic shock. I would like to find out if there is a possible malpractice case. I have contacted other urologists and it seems standard to receive a prophylactic antibiotic following a cystoscope due to the high incidence of contracting bacrtemia leading to sepsis.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
2/29/2012
Personal Injury Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
Thank you for your question.

My condolences to you on your father's loss. It is very difficult to accurately gauge as to whether or not you have a case but you can find out fairly easily. Since you have all of the medical records, set up a formal consultation with a personal injury attorney or firm that performs medical malpractice claims and hopefully has an in-house medical expert or specialist they can call in to review the records and see if there is validity in the claim. If their expert agrees, then they may take the case and pursue it on your behalf. The reason I say "may" is because medical malpractice is exceedingly complicated especially because the attorneys have to prove that not only was the doctor negligent, but also that an average doctor in the same position would not make the same error or decision, and that is where many malpractice cases fold. This is also why obtaining a medical expert is key because only they will know whether or not the doctor did not follow procedure.

To find counsel who may be able to assist you, consider browsing the listings at www.avvo.com and www.martindale.com.

Good luck.