Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

My son was involved in a car accident January 2010, The other…

Customer Question
My son was involved in...
My son was involved in a car accident January 2010, The other party retained an attorney in 2011 who indicated that since both parties had no insurance they would be liable for their repairs, and indicated no further action is warranted. Now we get a summons naming myself, son, and the car corporation as defendents in January 2012 for property damages, personal injury. I deny the plaintiffs complaints
How do I respond to this summons (action is an unlimited civil case) ?
How much information do I have to state in my response?
What happens if we miss the time frame to respond?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
2/21/2012
Personal Injury Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 6 years ago
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
You need to have the person who serves it fill out a proof of service form, and then file the general denial and the proof of service with the court. The answer gets served on the attorney, not the plaintiff. Also, any counterclaim has to be filed and served along with the answer.

If you owned the car, you should notify your insurance company before taking any action, but if a response is not filed on time, the plaintiff can win a judgment by default.

You can get a free consultation from some of the auto accident lawyers listed by location at
http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practicestate/Motor-Vehicle-Accidents----Plaintiff/California

If the complaint is not stamped filed within 2 years of the date of the accident, the statute of limitations has expired and you can raise that as a defense either in the answer or by filing a demurrer.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.