Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

My insurance company in kentucky assumed my subrogation rights…

Customer Question
My insurance company in kentucky...
My insurance company in kentucky assumed my subrogation rights and sued the tortfeaser in my name. The tortfeaser agreed to a $292,000. judgement. The insurance co appears to have paid the subrogation attorney $99,000.00 in subrogation fees by writing a check on my insurance account. This $99,000.00 may have come from subrogation fees. My question-can an insurance company use subrogation money to pay their own subrogation attorney?
[email protected]
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
2/17/2012
Personal Injury Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney replied 6 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

My question-can an insurance company use subrogation money to pay their own subrogation attorney?

Yes they can.
Technically and legally, he was not their attorney but your attorney. It appears that they paid him the standard fee plus costs. This is standard procedure in such cases.

I don't think you understand. I did not hire the attorney. The insurance company paid my claim and then assumed my subrogation rights to recoup the amount paid on the claim.

I believe that money by law has to go to offset the expense of paying my claim not to pay their attorney.

Bob

I understand since I deal with this on a regular basis. You gave the insurance company the right to hire an attorney on your behalf. By signing over your rights this is what you gave them permission to do even if you did not fully understand that was how it would work.

I did not give the insurance company permission to hire an attorney on my behalf. I had nothing to gain from the insurance company assuming my subrogation rights. No attorney was hired for me. The attorney was hired for the insurance comany.

It is apparent that I am not getting a correct answer here. Please void the transaction.

Bob May

I will opt out and allow other experts the opportunity to respond.
Personal Injury Lawyer: MShore, Attorney replied 6 years ago
MShore
MShore, Attorney
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. New expert here, would you like to continue?