Personal Injury Law

I slipped and fell while exiting a Ralphs market in front of…

Customer Question
I slipped and fell while...
I slipped and fell while exiting a Ralphs market in front of the cash register where everyone is walking and the bagging person is working. It was a 12 inch puddle and it was coming from out of another register line and into the main pathway. The manager had me sign and fill out a accident form.

My knee was broken and the lawyer i called... Read full answer

My knee was broken and the lawyer i called to work on the case said that Ralphs has denied knowledge that they knew about the spill prior to my fall. The lawyer that has my case said that he could only take it to small claims court and that the most i could get would be $7000. My MRI and physical therapy have amounted to over $3000 and a knee specialist has concluded that i require surgery that will cost $35000.

What should i do? Are there other attorneys that are willing to do litigation for this case or is my case dead in the water. Also, i have never sued anybody.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
3/21/2011
Personal Injury Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
Sorry to hear what you are going through.

Personal injury lawsuits are typically based on a recovery of a percentage of your winnings. Your case does not appear to be a "money maker" in their eyes, so many don't wish to proceed with representation. First, in California no lawyers are allowed in small claims cases, so your statement that " they could take it to small claims court," does not appear to be a correct statement. I am assuming they meant they could do the paperwork for you only and you go on your own. There are many "do it yourself" books out there that you can use to represent yourself in small claims.

As to the answer to your question, "What should i do? Are there other attorneys that are willing to do litigation for this case or is my case dead in the water." I suggest you get a second opinion from another lawyer. That is the first thing you should do. If get the same results from another lawyer that they can't help you, then you should proceed in suing on your own through small claims court. If you do decide to go this route the following book is helpful.

http://www.nolo.com/products/how-to-win-your-personal-injury-claim-PICL.html

Further self-help information:

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/smallclaims/scbasics.htm#top

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

Attorney & Mediator
I meant that i need this case litigated to cover the amount i need for surgery and my current bills as well as paying an attorney. therefore small claims is out.
I see thank you for the clarification.

Then the only thing I can suggest is to continue contacting lawyers to see if they are willing to litigate this for you. Unfortunately I can't predict who will want to represent you, but the dollar amount of $35,000.00 is not a big case for a lawyer to take much interest. The cost of litigation can cost way more than that.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I am seeking advice. Two weeks ago I slipped on some water
I am seeking advice. Two weeks ago I slipped on some water at a local grocery store that was not marked with a barrier. I ended up twisting my right knee. Now, this knee had surgery performed on it ba… read more
Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott
Private practice attorney,
In 2009, I had an arthroscopic surgery to my knee. Afterwards,
In 2009, I had an arthroscopic surgery to my knee. Afterwards, while still healing from that, I went back to work, and on my way into my building, on a rare day in Western Oregon when there was ice on… read more
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
Juris Doctor (JD)
I injured my knee and cannot walk due to a broken armrest on
I injured my knee and cannot walk due to a broken armrest on a Delta airplane and, I believe, due to the fact that Delta doesn't have a policy regarding large/overweight people. Some airlines do have … read more
Stop searching for answers—
I slipped and fell on something that was spilled on the floor
I slipped and fell on something that was spilled on the floor in Family Dollar store and injuried my knee, since that i have had to have surgery for a torn medial meniscus and a large medial femoral c… read more
Hello, I was injured on the job on September 8, 2012. I have
Hello, I was injured on the job on September 8, 2012. I have a complete tear of the left acl. That week I was scheduled for pto and was told by my manager to go ahead and stay home. On Monday I was ab… read more
TexLaw
TexLaw
Attorney,
i fell in a supermarket not too long ago and hired a lawyer
i fell in a supermarket not too long ago and hired a lawyer to sue the store. Tthe manager of the store made a report and i got picked up by an ambulance to take me to the hospital and the cops were t… read more
richanne96
richanne96
Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I was injured in an automobile accident on January 23 which
I was injured in an automobile accident on January 23 which was not may fault even in the least. I had a broken strunum and an injured left knee. The strunum was very painful but has healed, but I am … read more
Attorney,
I fell in Walmart and broke my nose and injured my knee that
I fell in Walmart and broke my nose and injured my knee that I had surgery on, If I had surgery on my nose it would cost an approxamately $7,000. The Dr. said I could try a few things to help with the… read more
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Managing Attorney,
I slipped and fell on a huge puddle of beer inside a grocery
I slipped and fell on a huge puddle of beer inside a grocery store a few months ago. I hurt my shoulder and neck. Unbeknownst to my doctor of how I recieved the injury, he took x-rays and felt my shou… read more
Counselor at Law,
Last Wednesday I was at my nail salon. After getting a pedicure,
Last Wednesday I was at my nail salon. After getting a pedicure, I was walking to the restroom. I still had on the paper flip flop sandals that they place on your feet. Just as I approached the restro… read more
RJ
RJ
i slipped and fell in a Ralphs Market after exiting the register
i slipped and fell in a Ralphs Market after exiting the register where i bought my groceries. THe manager did fill out a an accident report. And later that day I went to emergency and verified from xr… read more
Partner,
My girlfriend, single mother of two, independant contractor,
My girlfriend, single mother of two, independant contractor, slipped and fell on water puddle at Target and lost a week of work due to injury. Target now says they have video of some little girl spill… read more
RJ
RJ
Stop searching for answers—
Had an accident 2.5 years ago.. Had severe leg and knee pain,
Had an accident 2.5 years ago.. Had severe leg and knee pain, went to the er and had an x ray.. found out my leg was broken.. knee pain was ignored, didn't receive an MRI for my knee.. even though tha… read more
RJ
RJ
My 79 year old mom, slipped and fell at a Walmart store. She
My 79 year old mom, slipped and fell at a Walmart store. She was pushing her cart down the aisle and slipped on a puddle of spilt "hair gel liquid"..she ultimately had to undergo knee surgery to repai… read more
lwpat
lwpat
On July 23rd I slipped on yogurt in a dairy cooler where I
On July 23rd I slipped on yogurt in a dairy cooler where I work.(i fell onto my ankle) I went to the Occupational Health doctor who referred me for an MRI. My companies insurance provider denied the c… read more
lwpat
lwpat
I fell at a bowling alley last week, and after being seen in
I fell at a bowling alley last week, and after being seen in the emergency room and seeing a specialist they are now telling me that I might have to get surgury to repair my knee. Can I sue the bowlin… read more
Slipped and fell at a grocery sustained scapula damage, ...
Slipped and fell at a grocery sustained scapula damage, needed MRI, Physical therapy, developed traumatic carpel tunnel.Ever since the trigger event of the very bad fall, I have developed shingle, and… read more
rvlaw
rvlaw
Judge,