Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Hello. My name is mayra and I live in California. On may 29,2010,

Customer Question
Hello. My name is...
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I live in California. On may 29,2010, I was on my way to visit family (about 4 hrs away from my house). I was driving and my husband was the passanger. We were maybe 30 minutes away from my family. We were in the freeway, and the traffic was stop and go. I was in the carpool lane, and the traffic was slowing down. I was almost at a complete stop, maybe 20 mph, when I saw that the car behind me was driving too fast, distracted, and was not going to stop in time. He realized he was going to hit me, raised his hands, and rear ended me. I was able to swirve to the left to avoid hitting the car infront of me. I called 911, the hyway patrol and ambulance showed up. At the moment, I was in shock, confused, and my adrenaline was at 100%. We did not feel any pain until a few hrs later, and I also noticed my face was brused from hitting the stearing wheel. The following day, we came back home in our smashed car. I was paniking with all the traffic, so we only drove about 2 hrs and stayed in a hotel. We were in so much pain, we could not sleep. The following day, we drove back home, and aXXXXXturned into aXXXXX I was having panik attacks with traffic and had to stop frequently due to the pain. Finally we got home. My neck, shoulders, all my back hurts i get really bad head aches and my husband feels the same. During the next days, I called several dr's, they couldn't see us until the begining of July, or they were not accepting new patients. We didn't know weather to go to the E.R or not. I have a voice mail, and letter from the other insurance saying that they are accepting 100% liability. Not being able to schedule with an M.D, I went to a chiro. I was so happy when they said they could see us the following day. We explained what had happened to the chiro, he had my husband in his table ready to get adjusted when he asked if we had health insurance. We don't I said. So he told us he could see us unless we were represented by an attorney. He immediately hands me a business card from an attorney 1hr south of us. He took me outside the to his secretary. He tells her to call the attorney and to tell him that he had patients that needed representation. We made an appointment for the following day. I again had panick attacks due to the traffic. (I've never had them before). Its really embarrasing to admit it, but I'm afraid of cars, traffic, and when I'm able to sleep, I have nightmares. We see the chiro 3 x a week. He told me we had to drive to another town about 1 he away to get MRI's and XRays. When I asked why we had to go out of town, he said "because the machines are over there, unless u have 3grand in your pocket to pay for it.". Just thinking about it, made me have another melt down. He told me to suck it up. For the past 3 weeks I've been calling the attorneys office to ask if I could get all that stuff done here, with out going out of town, and also if I could see another chiro and an MD. They have not answered any of my calls. I don't know what to do. Our pain gets worse every day. I have terrible headaches, that feel like cramps. I have my own business, I'm a hairdresser and I use my right arm, wrist and shoulders alot. I have to miss days because there's days I can't move at all, and if I don't open my shop, I don't have income. I love my job and my clients, and I feel that I'm not giving them my best. When I do work, I'm slow, I drop everything because my wrist and shoulder hurts too much. I'm on tears every day. I had no idea my body could hurt so much. I can't sleep because everything hurts. My life had changed in every single way. We had a family reunion this weekend, and I couldn't go. I'm scared to go back and be in traffic. That is not me. My family always comes first. And I was not there. Oh, the chiro told us last week that one if his patients had poison oak and that he also had it, and guess what? We got it really bad. We don't know what to do with all of this
Should we fire the attorney and get another one?
What about the chiro? I find it wierd that he sent us to the attorney. Did he do the right thing by denying to see us unless we were represented by an attorney?
Please give us advise on what we need to do. I called a local attorney to ask for advise and he said he could not represent us unless we needed to have surgery. Is that true?
Thank you for taking your time to read all of this and to give us advise.

Mayra
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
6/28/2010
Personal Injury Lawyer: Brandon M., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Attorney
Hello there:

there was a lot of information in your post, so I am going to try to keep my answers brief and to answer all of your questions:

1. "Should we fire the attorney and get another one? What about the chiro?"

A. Whether to hire or keep any particular professional is a personal decision, but it does sound like you are not getting the attention that you need in this case and I personally would not use the services of anyone unless I was very comfortable with them. I think that it is right to consider other alternatives, yes.

2. " I find it wierd that he sent us to the attorney. Did he do the right thing by denying to see us unless we were represented by an attorney?"

A. It is not unethical, and it is not out of the ordinary. Personally, I would not work with someone who insisted on something like that, but it is not "wrong".

3. " Please give us advise on what we need to do. I called a local attorney to ask for advise and he said he could not represent us unless we needed to have surgery. Is that true?"

A. It's not that he can't, but that he won't. Personal injury cases involving surgery are typically more lucrative, and some attorneys simply will not take the time to get involved unless there is a serious injury involving the necessity of surgery involved. I would keep looking.

Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.