Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

If employer knows drinking goes on with sales people and if…

Customer Question
If employer knows drinking goes...
If employer knows drinking goes on with sales people and if the employer gives employee credit card for outside sales calls and employee takes customers out to bars and golf courses and drinks and then drives and someone gets hurt, is the employer at risk for a negligence claim for injuries?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
6/25/2010
Personal Injury Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
If the employee is on the clock of the employer and in the course and scope of performing the work of the employer when this occurs the employer could be held liable to third parties for injuries caused by their employee. The employer would not be liable to the employee for anything other than workers compensation. Additionally, the employer would have a valid argument that they do not authorize the employee to become legally intoxicated, they merely provide the card to entertain clients, but generally if the employees are getting drunk on the company time and cause harm to a third party the third party would have a claim against the employer.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”