How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD Your Own Question
JD, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 1335
Experience:  Over 10 years litigation experience
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was involved in an automobile accident. The other driver

This answer was rated:

I was involved in an automobile accident. The other driver was at fault. I was working part time and had no insurance. I hired an attorney. When I completed rehab, and all my medical records had been released to my attorney he then sent the information to the other drivers insurance company. He called me about three weeks later and said we had received an offer to settle. He said he was 'amazed' at how much they had offered, since I had only done about a month of rehab. I asked him how much was the offer. He told me how much I would receive, how much he would get and all my bills would be paid. Again I asked him how much the check was for, and he told me he didn't have that information, he had only received a verbal offer from the other insurance company. I told him not signing until I saw everything. When I got there, he told me 'he had convinced the other insurance company to give me an 'extra' $2000.00 .Monies were for me, him and medical bills in Feb.2010. He didnt pay medical.

The answer to your question is that hospitals and medical providers will send a notice of lien for medical bills to most everyone filing a personal injury lawsuit. They have a subrogation right in most cases to recover their charges (or a substantial portion thereof). You need to send the hospital a copy of your disbursement sheet and the settlement agreement to show that if any money has not been paid it is the fault of the attorney. You are right to consider a disciplinary complaint against the attorney if these monies were mishandled. You may also need to refer the matter to the local authorities... theft is theft.


It is very strange that your attorney couldn't give you a full settlement amount figure. You need to review the settlement agreement, the satisfaction and release of liability, and the disbursement sheet to verify they agree as to amounts. However, this could be a simple paperwork issue that may end up resolved once your attorney gets his file. Stay on top of this matter and keep everything in writing.


Please reply if I can help further.



Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.

JD and other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you