How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 34720
Experience:  16 yrs. of legal experience.
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I broke my leg/ankle on my driveway. I have people telling

Resolved Question:

I broke my leg/ankle on my driveway. I have people telling I should sue on my own house insurance. I was wondering if this is possible & do I need a lawyer?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
I do not think this is possible.

Your homeowners insurance is in place to represent you (stand in your place in court) if you are sued by another party based on an allegation of negligence on your behalf.

So if your neighbor slipped and fell on your drive way and claimed you were responsible, and sued you, your homeowners insurance would provide an attorney to defend you and, if you were deemed negligent, would pay up to your limit for any verdict.

Here you would have to "sue yourself" which is not currently allowed.

If you fell on your neighbors drive, you may be able to sue them...but no, you can not sue yourself.

Sorry to bear bad news

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
But homeowner insurance can pay my hospital bills?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 years ago.
No, home insurance is to protect your home from damage (or actually to help you repair if there is damage). In many policies, there is also a provision that will cover you for negligence on your if you are sued for a negligent act, like if you failed to keep your yard in repair and someone tripped and injured yourself in the yard, the homeowners insurance could defend you in a suit.

Its homeowners insurance not medical insurance.

So no, you will not be able to sue or claim to your insurance. You will need to contact your medical insurance company for this

again, sorry to bear bad news

P. Simmons and 2 other Personal Injury Law Specialists are ready to help you