Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 7 year old daughter has a chronic cough. She has been…

Customer Question
My 7 year old...

My 7 year old daughter has a chronic cough. She has been tested for asthma by a pulmonary pediatrician. It however seems to be a chronic problem. I think the air polution in the are where we are staying doesn’t help!

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

I would say about 2 weeks.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

Other than the cough she is a 💯. Singing playing!

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
4/1/2018
Pediatrician: Paul, Board Certified Pediatrician replied 3 months ago
Paul
Paul, Board Certified Pediatrician

Hello, my name is Paul. I have been a pediatrician for the last 23 years. I will try to help with your question. It could actually be several things. This time of the year we see a lot of viral illness that can cause some irritation to the throat and breathing tubes. Some times this takes a while to settle down, even if she has no other significant symptoms. Sometimes kids can develop a habitual cough. The Pulmonologist could differently evaluate her for asthma, although one test would not eliminated the possibility completely. The change of weather and pollution could also be affecting her. A couple things I would recommend trying. For the possible habitual cough - it maybe help to have her carry ice water with her and every time she feels like she needs to cough - have her take a quick jet of ice water through a straw. Sometimes that will break the cycle of the throat feeling irritated, so you cough, which only irritates things more. Have her do this for a few days and see if this helps. For the possible pollution - avoid cigarette smoke and keep windows closed. May also want to try some over-the-counter allergy medicines like Claritin. If it is viral induced (RSV, Influenza, etc), it may just take a little while to settle down completely. Obviously, watch for any symptoms that would indicate difficulty breathing or worsening of symptoms. Hopefully you have found this helpful. I would be happy to answer any follow up questions. If you found this helpful, please give me a five star rating.