Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 8 yr old daughter just came to me saying her vagina hurt…

My 8 yr old daughter...
My 8 yr old daughter just came to me saying her vagina hurt like there was a hair stuck. (I first asked about anone touching her)
I checked her out and found a very, very tiny white worm right there in her vagina. I was able to gently get it out and she instantly said she felt better.
I remember having these as a child myself, but like, a lot of them at once. What are they? Is there something I can do to make sure she doesn't get more? What causes them? Are they contagious? Etc.
3/24/2018
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor

My name is*****
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please wait for a moment.
I am answering soon.

I am sorry for her symptoms.
There can be a pinworm.
It can migrate to that area.
The pin worm is a common infestation.
It is contagious though.
Whole family members are needed to treat simultaneously to clear the infection.
Simultaneous cleaning of all the bed linens, dresses in hot water help to reduce the reinfection.
Early morning shower every day can be helpful to clear up the worm.
Proper hand washing before taking food is helpful.
Scotch tape test can confirm it.
You can buy it and put it in the anal area.
In the morning it can be examined by the doctor.
Doctor can take stool test too.
He can then prescribe medicine accordingly.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
Wish her early recovery.
Please click on 5 star rating if you are satisfied with my answer.
Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, great. What is the Scotch tape test?

You can buy a piece of one inch of clear cellophane tape.
Please paste it over anus as detailed in the link below.
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/003452.htm

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How does one get pinworms? How are they spread? Where do they come from?

You can get the infection by ingesting the eggs or inhaling it.
You will not be aware of it in the environment.
The eggs may be swallowed if the hands are not washed properly before taking food or if the food is contaminated.
Eggs can be present in the clothing, bed linens too.

The eggs hatch into full worm in intestines.

Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, I'll leave a score before I leave.
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor