Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter is 22 months old. She has bilateral hearing loss…

Customer Question
My daughter is 22 months...
My daughter is 22 months old. She has bilateral hearing loss since birth. Lately she has been rubbing and covering her eyes. No balance issues. No vomiting or fevers, eats pretty well. I am worried about a brain tumor. She cries a lot and I am wondering about a headache.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
She is happy most days. Wakes up crying in middle of the night, might be night terrors, cries in morning, but I think she just wants up for the day because once she is up she is happy and fine.
3/24/2018
Pediatrician: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 3 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions including child neurology conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns related to your daughter.

I see you are concerned about the possibility of a brain tumor in your child. As a Neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First of all I want to inform and reassure you this certainly does not appear the presentation of a brain tumor

There are so many reasons why this does not appear a brain tumor including the following;

She has no vomiting

Her eating habits are good

She is happy for most of the days

No balance issues etc

If someone is having a brain tumor that can cause headache and make them cry - then at that time the tumor must be large and also will make them very sick including vomiting, and other symptoms such as balance issues. And I see once she is up she is happy and fine, this also indicates brain tumor is unlikely because if there is brain tumor then the symptoms should manifest throughout the day.

Also you have not mentioned any other neurological manifestations such as passing out or seizures, or paralysis of limbs on one side etc and the absence of such manifestations also indicates she is unlikely having any brain tumors.

If her new manifestations such as rubbing and covering her eyes, waking up crying in the night etc do not improve then she needs a thorough evaluation in the clinic including a thorough examination followed by certain relevant investigations, but it certainly does not appear she is having any brain tumor etc, also it does not appear any other serious conditions such as brain bleeding or brain infections such as meningitis or encephalitis etc for the various reasons mentioned above (for example in addition to the absence of various manifestations mentioned above she is not having fever too this helps in ruling out conditions such as meningitis or encephalitis etc, brain tumors and brain bleeding manifest similarly - since she is not having brain tumor symptoms she must also be not having brain bleeding as well).

Once again I can reassure you, please see your daughter does not appear to have a brain tumor or any other serious health issues, if her new symptoms persist then please get her evaluated further in the clinic, but as far as serious health issues such as brain tumors or any other serious neurological or other medical conditions are considered there is certainly no suspicion for any such possibilities, so please not to be scared.

Wishing her a quick & complete recovery!

Wishing you all the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, how is your daughter doing now? I hope she is doing better now. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss her health situations further; but once again I can very confidently reassure you she is definitely not a case of brain tumor, absolutely not, so please not to be scared.

I see you have not yet rated my answer, is it because you are not satisfied with the above answer, or is it due to some technical glitches? If you are not satisfied and if you are still looking for more information please let me know and I will be very glad to continue assisting you as long as you need my services, and until you are fully satisfied. On the otherhand if rating was not done due to any technical glitches preventing you from rating please let me know and I can bring this to the notice of the company and they can help in fixing this glitch.

Please let me know.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD