Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a 14m boy and he’s been gagging and vomiting all day.

Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a 14m boy and he’s been gagging and vomiting all day. I think he either swallowed something or a hair. What do I do?

Doctor's Assistant: Has the boy's vomiting been stable or getting worse?

Worse and gagging

Doctor's Assistant: How long has he been dealing with vomiting? Is this a repeating or first-time issue?

In this way yes it’s his first time.. but not first vomiting incident

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in his medical history you think the doctor should know?

He has one kidney

3/23/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician

Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Sumanth. I've 13years of experience in the field of Pediatrics. I'm currently reviewing your query, be back ASAP.

Hi... By what you got I feel that he might be having an initial symptom of vomiting which might be followed by diarrhoea.Right now you can give him either domperidone or ondansetron if you have them in hand.He might start to have diarrhoea and if so zinc supplements will help.If you can get back to me with his current weight and the medicine for vomiting which you have in hand I will suggest you the appropriate dose.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
He’s not on any medication. He was fine but this just happened today afternoon. He started vomiting and constantly gagging. Even the water he drinks he vomits.
This is why I thought it might be a hair.
He weighs 10kgs but I don’t have any medication.

Hi...It may not be hair please.

Usually a viral watery diarrhea starts just like this with vomiting and then proceeds to diarrhea.

Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

If diarrhea starts - I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment.

For vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron or Domperidone.

If it is Ondansetron (2mg/5ml) the dose will be 4ml thrice a day 30 minutes before feeding and if it is Domperidone it is 1ml the strength will be (1mg/ml).
Regarding diet - You can use any rice or cereal based preparation. Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Did you receive my msg. It is not showing here please.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Ok.. thanks a lot doctor.

Hi..I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.

Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician