Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter has been running a fever since Thursday of last…

My daughter has been...

My daughter has been running a fever since Thursday of last week sometimes getting as high as 104.1 and the lowest it’s gone is 99.9. They said she has Infulenza A, and at 6 days with a fever and with medication only working for a maximum of 2-3 hours should I take her back to the Er?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

She has had it for a week. She has a stuffy nose and cough. They did a chest X-ray on Sunday that was clear. Strep was negative also

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

Petit mal seizures

3/21/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, how old is your daughter? How much does she weight about? And how much Tylenol and/or Motrin have you been giving in terms of amount and timing intervals?
She is 5 weighing 37 lbs. Advil and Tylenol 1.75 tsp. Alternating starting with Advil and giving Tylenol 4 hours later
Thank you for that information. I’m sorry your daughter has the flu! Fever from influenza can last as long as 7 days so she’s still in the range of normal. As long as she is drinking some fluids, stillnurinating at least 3x per day and not having any rapid shallow labored breathing there’s no need to return to an ER. You are giving her the right amounts of fever reducing medicine for relief. The temperature in and of itself is not dangerous since you know exactly what the cause of her fever is. She should become afebrile in another 24 hours or so. Should she continue to have fever beyond that, complain of ear pain or have worsening cough and breathing difficulty then I would return to medical attention to rule out an ear or chest infection.
Can I help with anything else?
Richard Han