Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a one-year-old baby girl who's been sick ever since…

I have a one-year-old...

I have a one-year-old baby girl who's been sick ever since she started daycare on Feb. 1st. (hand-foot-mouth, runny

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

About 3 weeks ago, she contracted hand-foot-mouth, which eventually healed, but has been having a runny nose and cough for about 2 weeks. On Sunday, her birthday, she got a fever at 3am. We inserted a suppository and left it at that. Then last night (Monday night), she got another fever at 7pm. We took her to the pediatrician and he checked and double-checked and told us there was no infection (ear, throat, pneumonia, bronchitis) and to come back only if her fever persists for a couple more days. However, as a mother, I still worry so much, what if it's something worse than just a cold?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing else.

3/20/2018
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How high is the fever?

Does she have any other symptom?

Which suppository are you giving?

Did you give any oral medicine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The one on Sunday was 39 celsius rectal (I'm in Canada). The one last night was 38.2. Other than the cough and runny nose, no other symptoms. I can't remember which brand of suppository it is. No oral medicine since baby always throws up from it.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for her symptoms.
It is likely to be a viral fever.
Children can get it frequently.
As doctor did not find any infection in ear, lungs, I feel you need not worry.
You may try ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
Ibuprofen can be repeated 3 -4 times, it can be given 6-8 hourly.
Acetaminophen can be given 4-6 hourly but not to exceed 5 doses.
You can also give lukewarm bath or sponging.
Please give plenty of fluid to keep good hydration.
Viral fever usually gets over in a week.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician