Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

We had fried potatoes for supper and I gave a small piece to…

We had fried potatoes for...
We had fried potatoes for supper and I gave a small piece to my almost 11 month old. I found out now my husband put some seasoning/spice mix on it that has honey in it. I know babies can’t have honey but does that include things with honey in it like this spice?
3/19/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician

Hello and thank you for requesting me. My name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. In general, yes, all babies under the age of 12 months old should not consume any honey of any kind until after their birthday. It has to do with the possible presence of botulism spores in honey that can affect the baby because under 12 months their stomachs do not produce enough acid to destroy the spores. That being said, having had the small amount that your 11 month old had as described above is probably not dangerous, but I would refrain from giving any other source of honey until you baby's birthday passes, which is hopefully soon.

Anything else I can help with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do I need to watch for symptoms or is there anything I can do??

I would not be too concerned. If you notice any severely decreased muscle tone like a rag doll limp, any slower, more labored deep breathing pattern, severe constipation or poor feeding, then I would get him checked out. But again, from what you described, unlikely that he was exposed to any botulism.

Any other questions?

Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han