Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Yesterday and today when waking up in the morning I’ve had…

Customer Question
Yesterday and today when waking...
Yesterday and today when waking up in the morning I’ve had some stomach pains or a bloated feeling in the stomach and I either have gas or need to use the bathroom and then I feel better. Today it wasn’t diahrrea but it was a bit runny or like mushy and it would probably go more with the type 6 inBristol stool chart. I do have Imodium if necessary. What do you think it is? Should I take Imodium before going to sleep ? Or take it in the morning after it happens or not take it at all?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
3/18/2018
Pediatrician: Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician replied 4 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, have you had any vomiting, fever or blood in your stool?

No vomiting,fever or blood in stool
Than you for that information. In your case, it sounds like a mild stomach virus, and it also sounds like your temporary diarrhea is already resolving. Unless the bowel movement situation is becomes socially inconvenient or embarrassing, I’d recommend NOT using any Imodium. Imodium doesn’t cure diarrhea, it just stops you up temporarily. In viral diarrhea it’s better to let it run it’s course since you shed the virus out thru the stool instead of keeping it inside. No problem if you had to use the Imodium temporarily and situationally but even better if you don’t have to.
Any other questions?
I hope I have provided you with helpful information in answering your question. Please let me know if you need anything else. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.
A few days before I was a bit sick had nausea but no vomiting and that was after interacting with someone that was sick. So I can eat reugularly but still going to have diarrhea for a while? So the diarrhea means the virus is going away?
Thank you for that information. Makes sense. You must’ve caught it from that person. Yes, as long as it doesn’t make you vomit, you can eat and drink anything you like. Diarrhea from a virus like you’d typically lasts for a total of about 5-7 days, worst in the first 2-3 days and progressively better after that. Become your stool is already starting to change for the better, more firm less watery, yes, the virus and it’s effects are going away. Any other questions?
Have I answered your question to your satisfaction?
Ok so it’s going to be like this for a few days?
probably, but better and more normal stools each day until completely back to normal.

If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.