Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

I was with my new born granddaughter and the next day I

Customer Question
I was with my...

I was with my new born granddaughter and the next day I broke out with a cold sore. She was 10 days old. Do I need to worry. I was kissing snuggling. Is she in danger.

Doctor's Assistant: Have your break been stable or getting worse? Have there been any illnesses going around?

No illness and haven't had a cold sore in years

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with cold sore? Is this a repeating or first-time issue?

I used to get them when I was younger it had been years

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pediatrics
3/18/2018
Pediatrician: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar

Welcome and thank you for your question.

I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to tell you that herpes can spread very easily to newborns if they are kissed by someone with a cold sore or even by someone with the herpes virus in the saliva.

The baby needs to be tested for the virus as early as possible.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information. If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.

She has no signs and it's been 6 days. Would she be showing signs by now. I read it's very rare if she would contract under 6 months of age due to moms antibodies. Is that true?

If her mother has herpes, then yes, her antibodies would protect the baby against herpes infection.

If infection does occur, then the first signs would show up within 2- 14 days.