Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter had a BP 103/53. Skinny eleven year old. Dancer.

My daughter had a...

My daughter had a BP 103/53. Skinny eleven year old. Dancer. Is that ok?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all your daughter's symptoms, and how severe are they?

She was having an echocardiogram. She has hypermobility joint disorder but have not ruled out more connective tissues disorders like eds

Doctor's Assistant: Has she had any recent tests or treatments related to the echocardiogram? What other concerns do you have about she?

They took her BP and I was curious if that was normal

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in her medical history you think the doctor should know?

She is extreme constipation which I’m told could be part of this. Anxiety pain in joints. But was fine today. Laying down when BP was taken and I just don’t know if that is normal for her age

3/15/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified Pediatrician

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, about how tall is your daughter? (Blood pressure is related to age, gender and height in children)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is about four feet and six inches. 65 lbs

Thank you, ***** ***** have her exact date of birth too please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
6/23/06

Thank you. Yes, at her age and height, for an 11 going on 12 year old girl, her blood pressure of 103/53 is perfectly normal, very healthy. Any other questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Her current nurse oratiction does not seem to know anything about hypermobility disorders or EDS what steps should I take to make sure she has a proper diagnosis?

I understand. With hypermobility disorders, such as Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS) or Marfan's Syndrome, I would recommend, if possible, being under the primary care of a board certified general pediatrician. To confirm a diagnosis, referral to a clinical geneticist is usually where to start. Other specialty referrals can involve cardiology, as you have already done, ophthalmology for eye/lens issues, and sometimes orthopedics.

Anything else I can help with?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was an otherpedic that suspected hmjd and told np she needed echocardiogram and eye lens exam which she does have appointment for. But np didn’t agree with genetics referral. I will ask again. Thank you you have sent me in the right direction with confidence.

You are very welcome. I'm glad I could provide you with useful information. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did think of one more question. The np was adamnet that if the two test, echo and eye exam were negative she needed no further testing but from what I read sometimes there’s no signs until later in life so she def needs the genetics referral correct?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That way if it’s nothing more they can clinically say it’s a benign hypermobility or EDS case

While it is less likely to have EDS if no heart of eye findings were discovered, it's far from 100% sure. Genetic testing is useful and your right as a parent and patient to receive, so I'm not sure why the NP would be so adamant against referral. If you were my patient, I would most definitely send you to see a clinical geneticist.

Richard Han
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I will go do you eating now. You have given me confidence to speak with her NP. Have a great day
Richard Han
Richard Han