Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

I’m worried because my GP said it could be lymphoma. ******

******* ****** ****** ******* *****I’m...

******* ****** ****** ******* *****I’m worried because my GP said it could be lymphoma. ****** ****** ****** In the meantime, is there anything on the blood tests results that would indicate it’s lymphoma or not?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He doesn’t have any pain associated with the lump, no recent history (4 months) of sore throat, cold etc. The ultrasound confirms it is 2 swollen lymph nodes 12mm x4mm also that they are “reactive lymph nodes” with “normal vascular pattern.” The GP could also feel a swollen lymph node in his groin. I also have the blood test results.
3/15/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician

Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Sumanth. I've 13years of experience in the field of Pediatrics. I'm currently reviewing your query, be back ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Hi...May I request you to upload all the report you have, after that I will ask you for more information if required.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve attached the blood test results. The hand written values relate to the corresponding values on his last blood tests 5 months previously.

Hello...I have gone through the latest report values and also the 5 month back values too. I am glad that youhave mentioned 5 month back values for comparative account.

Nothing here is suggestive of lymphoma. Even the size mentioned for a lymph node at that site is insignificant. Insignificant lymphadenoapthy at that area is not suggestive of lymphoma. I am surprised about the bilirubin values of 71 and 62. It is out of range, but the SGOT, SAP and albumin values are normal.

I need some more information please.

1. Has the lymph node increased in size from when you first observed it?

2. What is the size of groin lymph node?

3. Was there any unexplained fever in the last 4 weeks?

4. Has there been any weight loss or loss of appetite?

5. Is he sweating at night in this 4 weeks?

6. Has he been tested for EBV or Mono?

Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for that information. It is a relief to know that you don’t consider this suggestive of lymphoma. As requested...
1.Yes, it has increased in size from when I first noticed it.
2. The GP said the lymph node in the groin was small but slightly swollen.
3. No fever in the last 4 weeks.
4. No weight loss or change in appetite.
5. Occasional sweating at night leading to removal of top but no drenching sweats.
6. No testing for EBV or Mono
Thank you, ***** *****

Hello ***, as of now there is not need to fear about lymphoma as none of the blood tests are suggestive it.

My suggestions and unbiased professional opinion would be to -

1. Excision biopsy of the lymph node in question. An ultrasound can never say whether it is a reactive lymph node or not. It is a histopathological diagnosis. So my suggestion is to go ahead with excision biopsy. I am telling this for the only reason that the lymph node has increased in size. But the histopathology report might again find only a reactive lymph node.

2. No need to repeat any of the blood tests at all. Nothing is suggestive of lymphoma at all here now or 5 months back.

3. After a detailed symptom analysis and history evaluation I do not feel that you son has lymphoma please.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I’ve been really worried about the possibility of lymphoma since it was mentioned by my GP but I’m very relieved to hear that, after reviewing the blood test results, you don’t think that’s anything to worry about.
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician