Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Feeling nauseous. I started feeling nauseous yesterday

Customer Question
afternoon and all I had...
Feeling nauseous. I started feeling nauseous yesterday afternoon and all I had was a coffee then few hours later felt nauseous. Then I drank some water and seltzer, started to feel better and then after a few hours I decided to go out and on the bus I started feeling nauseous again so I went to get ginger ale. It did help a bit by laying down. All I ate yesterday was a small bag of chips and some pretzels. The night before that I visited an old age home and there was a guy who’s wife is in the hospital and he didn’t look well himself and he was very sweaty. Do you think it’s because of that? Or is it just all in my head? I just have nausea but no vomiting. Today I have a bit of nausea. What do you think it is? Also when I feel nauseous I try not to eat or drink anything except ginger ale, water or seltzer. I’m also a bit of a hypochondriac
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Pediatrics
3/15/2018
Pediatrician: Dr. Saha, Doctor replied 1 month ago
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor

Thank you for your question.
I am Dr Saha, I shall try my best to help you.

How is your stool?

Is there any fever, sore throat or any other symptom?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t have a thermometer but I don’t think I have a fever, no diahrrea, well I only did one bowel movement yesterday but it was before I started feeling nauseous. I didn’t really eat anything

Please wait for a moment.
I am answering soon.

Thank you for all the information,
I am sorry for your symptoms.
Nausea can be from different conditions.
Coffee can initiate nausea.
Sometimes anxiety disorder can be a factor.
It can come from gastroenteritis, gastritis, reflux, gallbladder disease, hepatitis, urinary infection etc.
Take plenty of liquids like oral rehydration solution, gatorade in sips so that you may not vomit.
Empty stomach can aggravate the condition.
Try to take bland food in small amount frequently.
Avoid taking tea, coffee, chocolates, carbonated drinks.
You can take zantac or Nexium.
If the nausea does not subside, I would suggest to take an examination by doctor.
I hope this information helps.
If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.
Wish your early recovery.
I would expect 5 star rating if you are satisfied with it.
Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is ginger ale ok? And how long does it need to go on for to see a doctor?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Zantac or nexium helps with nausea ?

Yes, ginger ale can be used.

Zantac or nexium will help in gastritis related nausea.

You can wait 1-2 days.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also is it possible that it can all be in my head? Because sometimes if I suspect someone of being sick or that they are sick then I notice I start to worry more and I feel nauseous after. Also how can I stop worrying about this? I worry a lot about health and germs

As I told before, anxiety and stress can be a factor.

Try to relax.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok and I don’t have symptoms of a stomach bug or anything right? Like no fever, diarrhea, vomiting. And are oranges good to eat when feeling nauseous or just crackers/bland foods?

You are not having symptom typically, in mild cases all symptoms may not be there.Small amount of oranges may be taken.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, so I’ll try relaxing and eating little

Yes.

Please relax & try to eat.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t want to eat too much because I don’t want to throw it up. That’s one reason why I try to avoid eating when nauseous or felt it. Is that not good?

You can take food in small amounts frequently.

You can tolerate it in that way.

We only get credit for helping you after getting a positive rating from you.

Please do not forget to leave one before signing out.

Good luck.

Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor