Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

7 year old stepson is wetting the bed all the time. I have…

Second opinion] 7 year old...
Second opinion] 7 year old stepson is wetting the bed all the time. I have no idea what to do for night time peeing.
3/15/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician

Hi,Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Sumanth. I've 13years of experience in the field of Pediatrics. I'm currently reviewing your query, be back ASAP.

He has had his urine checked and it was normal

Hi...did he ever attain night time or day time urine control or not please.

No he pees during the day if he is watching tv, on computer, playing at recess at school. He says he doesn't want to miss out on anything. He has always had problems day or night.
We have had success with rewards for the daytime peeing. The night peeing we stop water hours before bedtime
We wake him in the middle of the night to go to the restroom but still no success.
Is this laziness? Could it be nightmares? Behavioral ?

Hi...I understand your concern. I was typing reply about primary nocturnal enuresis (medically this condition is called so) and meanwhile I was getting replied from you as to what you have already done.

This is definitely not nightmares or laziness.

There are two possibilities -

1. He is holding the urine back and when he goes he runs to the wash room and before he does - he is releasing it. This is called voiding dysfunction and I suggest you get an ultrasound done which may revel so bladder wall thickening. Bladder training exercise will definitely help here ans along with Oxybutinin medication.

2. Primary Nocturnal enuresis. My professional opinion is that (as you have already tried everything as a dutiful parent), you need to see a clinical psychologist and he might get better with psychological counseling please.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Pediatrician